The Jackson Township First Aid Squad has provided volunteer ambulance service to Jackson Township for over sixty years. Formed in 1953, the Squad has almost 100 members, and annually answers over 2,000 calls for service during operating hours of 6pm to 5am, transporting more than 1,000 patients to area hospitals each year.
The Squad will use the AFG funds to purchase protective items such as helmets, goggles, protective coats, and safety boots for its members. Every year, the Squad responds to hundreds of car accidents and other dangerous events, both in Jackson and the surrounding towns. The new equipment will help the volunteer first responders remain safe while providing service to their community, protecting against cuts, broken glass, and spilled blood and fluids. The AFG grant provides 90% of the funding for the purchase, with the other 10% coming from Squad funds.
Chief Alfred Coucerio said of the grant, “This is an enormous opportunity for us. We need to keep our members safe, and this grant gives us the funding necessary to do that properly. Every one of our members will be protected to the level recommended by national standards.”
The AFG program, administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), helps fire departments and emergency medical service organizations obtain the equipment they need to do their jobs effectively, including protective gear, emergency vehicles, training, and other resources that help protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and other related hazards.